Random Liberals

We are random liberals (who knew?). Collectively, we make up the greatest blog in the history of ourselves. We will blog about anything that suits us; mostly politics, with a little bit of religion and randomness to make the blog exciting.

Contributors
Rob
Joshua

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Looking Beyond

I was really bored tonight and was looking at old (well, not that old) newspaper articles with one of my friends. I happened to run across an editorial in the Dallas Morning News complaining about a picture they used of a soldier smoking a cigarette. The lady was complaining the paper should have used a better picture because the soldiers are role models to children. For a moment I was angry and, at the same time, saddened that all the woman could see was the cigarette and not the face. It was a face which spoke volumes of what the soldier had seen, weariness, violence, the hate of certain people who feel the need to kill instead of be diplomatic, and a little sorrow.

The soldier might have given up enough by fighting for a cause that was not his own and he deserved to be able to enjoy something, even if it was a cigarette. I don't agree with smoking but if that's what it takes to loosen up after a battle, so be it. It was his choice. I hope that others looked beyond what was in his mouth and saw the story in his eyes, because that's what captured my attention.

Some people need to realize there is a war going on and the people involved have feelings that are being jerked around violently at every second. At the end of the day, no soldier is going to see that cigarette or beer or whatever comfort food they have. They'll be reliving what happened just hours ago. They're humans and sometimes they're going to make choices some people won't agree with, but those people need to forget it and just say, "I truly support you, from the bottom of my heart. And I hope that you'll be able to come home safely one day."

2 Comments:

Blogger Joshua said...

hey josh! this is cody! i agree with you. I hate it when people can't look past little, unimportant details. See ya.

3/16/2005 12:36 AM  
Blogger Veronica said...

Some people just... don't get it. I guess that lady is one of them.

3/23/2005 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home