Random Liberals

We are random liberals (who knew?). Collectively, we make up the greatest blog in the history of ourselves. We will blog about anything that suits us; mostly politics, with a little bit of religion and randomness to make the blog exciting.

Contributors
Rob
Joshua

Wednesday, April 14, 2004

United States

Everybody, say it with me. U-nigh-ted States. Not Amurca. United States. How much harder can it be to say "United States" than it is to say "America." As I said in my first ever post (here, third paragraph down), our country is not America by itself. It is one of many countries in America. Our country is the United States, and we should be proud of it. Quit shortcutting our name, Mr. President! (No, he's not the only one, but he's the person I'm most mad at right now, so he gets to take the brunt of my rant.)

Speaking of the president, here is a transcript of his speech and press conference that he held last night. You will find that there is a good reason he hasn't held a prime time press conference since the beginning of the (undeclared) war in Iraq. He has nothing new to say. This press conference was completely pointless. He just danced around the questions, using the same talking points he's been using since it became clear that there were no biological, chemical, or nuclear weapons to be found.

On a mostly unrelated note, I called in to a local talk show on my NPR station, which was fielding questions in between the morning and afternoon sessions of the 9-11 commission. I just have one thing to say about that: I'm sticking to writing. I said something completely incoherent that I can't even remember anymore (thank God). It was my first time to call a radio show with the intention of saying something on the air, so maybe that's excusable. I do not intend to let this deter me from future calls. However, I will be writing down what I want to say when I do call again, so I don't sound so uninformed. I do think that I have good things to say (I wouldn't be writing this if I didn't think so), but I'm just not a good extemporaneous speaker. I'm much better at reading speeches, or at least giving memorized speeches.

Robert

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home