Random Liberals

We are random liberals (who knew?). Collectively, we make up the greatest blog in the history of ourselves. We will blog about anything that suits us; mostly politics, with a little bit of religion and randomness to make the blog exciting.

Contributors
Rob
Joshua

Friday, August 13, 2004

On marriage and anniversaries

Today is my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary. My father's parents were married on Friday, August 13, 1954 in Miami, Florida. Yes, Friday the 13th. I only found that part out last week. I'm not quite sure why they did that, but if their sense of humor is anything like mine or my dad's, they probably did it to be funny. Now, they celebrate 50 years of being together. Unfortunately, it will be without me. My father and step-mother left two days ago so that they could spend a week with my dad's family in celebration. I will of course be calling my grandparents this evening to wish them a happy anniversary.

This is actually the 2nd 50th anniversary my family has seen this year. My mother's parents' 50th anniversary was last February. That was one of the more interesting days of my life. It was supposed to be a celebration, but it wound up being dampered because, on the way to the church with my sister, I wrecked my car. Still, it was a good weekend overall, and it was great commemorating such a wonderful, and rare, mark.

On a related note, the California Supreme Court annulled approximately 4000 marriages that were performed in San Francisco earlier this year, a move unprecedented in its scale. 4000 couples who have once again had their hearts ripped out and stomped on. 4000 couples who have an incredibly deep love for each other. 8000 human beings who deserve better. 8000 people who are denied the right to publicly and proudly proclaim their profound feelings simply because they are homosexual. While they are married in the eyes of God, we are denying them the right to be married in the eyes of humankind. What kind of people are we to withhold that right? This is the United States, the land of dreams. What is a bigger dream than to marry the one you love?

May God forgive us and our bigotry.

Robert

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home